In today’s world where business needs are changing at a very fast pace and technology is evolving at an even more faster pace, it is difficult to keep investing in in-house technological resources. A software development outsourcing company could be of great help for the business. Companies have always analyzed make or buy decisions and there is…
In today’s world where business needs are changing at a very fast pace and technology is evolving at an even more faster pace, it is difficult to keep investing in in-house technological resources. A software development outsourcing company could be of great help for the business. Companies have always analyzed make or buy decisions and there is no time like the present to think about whether you develop software in-house or outsource your projects to the right technology partner.
Here are some advantages:
- By outsourcing software development, companies able to concentrate on their core business.
- You have greater access to a much larger talent pool.
- If outsourcing is coupled with “well-managed” off-shoring, there could be significant cost advantages.
- IT is no longer an expense that carries on, it is projectized – you expense out projects, which are temporary.
- The right partner will be a solutions provider and not a coding factory (unless all you need is that!) – they can provide good consultation, out of the box solutions – sometimes all you need is a right business decision from someone looking from outside in.
- Your projects will be delivered with cutting-edge technology – you now have that choice.
Here are some disadvantages:
- You lose some control of your projects. But outsourcing companies, with good project management methodologies and transparency into their process and teams, will close a lot of that gap.
- It may be expensive in the short term depending on your schedule baselines.
- You are not growing in-house talents if that is something you feel is needed for the longer term.
- You may be giving out company secrets, so always have a proper, legally created NDA (legalzoom.com is a good source)
So who is the right Outsourcing company for your business?
- The clearer your scope statement and requirements, the better value you will get from outsourcing. A good partner will help you build that scope.
- Pair companies against each other. You should shortlist at least 3 companies.
- Choose a company that has a clear message on what they can offer – value, price, experience etc.
- The outsourcing company must have a good development environment of their own. You can even ask them to demo that in an online session.
- Make sure you have a well-written contract or ask them to provide examples of previous contracts.
- Check references – call a few of them and see what other customers have to say about them. Always ask about the 1 thing the company can improve – almost every reference will say at least 1 thing!
- Finally go with your gut!
Outsourcing has turned out to be the most effective business trend of this era. It is about increasing workforce flexibility and using highly qualified experts. Where do you start? You can call us to have a dialog – we are here to help. If we cannot provide you with a solution or you feel we are not a right fit for you, we may be able to point you to a another direction!
Sam brings years of Business Intelligence and Software System Analysis experience to Medullus Systems. Prior to being a partner/co-founder at Medullus Sam lead several scale projects in the BI world in big name corporations like Bristol Myers, Frasenius, and ADP Payroll. Sam brings new ideas to improve BI in companies, products and projects. Sam is a certified Microsoft BI Developer and holds a Master in Computer Sciences. When asked about himself, Sam says "If you can't measure it, you can't manage it. For this reason alone, cutting edge software, that fits your business, needs to be on your radar screen and my cell phone number on your speed dial!" On his personal life Sam is a proud husband and father to 2 boys and enjoys his "cutting edge" drum-set, rock-shows and the New York Giants.